Putting it all together!
Below is a recommended sequence that pedestrians who are blind can use
for crossing unfamiliar streets at intersections with pushbuttons.
- Approach the perpendicular street and maintain alignment of travel all the way to the curb/ramp.
- Find a unique, easily-recognizable permanent tactile landmark that can be used to locate where to wait to cross after pressing the pushbutton.
- Analyze the intersection traffic patterns and geometry and establish your alignment (with assistance if necessary).
- As you stand in alignment, use your skills to memorize how you are facing in relation to the curb or other features when you are lined up, so that you can reestablish alignment after pushing the button.
- Leave the curb and find the correct pushbutton, either by listening for the locator tone or using a systematic search pattern. While searching for the pushbutton, be sure to maintain orientation and awareness of location of the streets, and make sure you find the correct pushbutton.
- Wait until the very beginning of the traffic surge / green signal of the perpendicular street, and press the pushbutton (if you can't be sure which is the correct one, press the pushbuttons for both streets).
- Immediately after pressing your pushbutton, walk back to the tactile landmark you found on your initial approach to the corner, and use the tactile features that you had memorized (in Step #4) to get realigned and wait for your turn to cross.
If you don't have enough time to align, or if you do not get a surge of parallel traffic, go press the pusbutton for crossing the parallel street, then press your pushbutton when the perpendicular street signal first turns green.
- Begin crossing when the WALK signal is on.
If you don’t have access to the pedestrian signal and this crossing is not one of the exceptions, cross at the next surge of the near-lane-parallel traffic.
- If you can't cross at the appropriate time, go back and press the pushbutton again as per step 6, and proceed with steps 7-9.
NOTE: Once pedestrians are familiar with the crossing and how to align, they can skip the first 5 steps and proceed directly to find the pushbutton, and follow steps 6 through 9.